Friday 25 March 2011

Evaluation - Progression

"Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?"


I think that my design skills have improved drastically since completing my preliminary task, although it is difficult to compare them as they are both of completely different genres. However, i had a much better understanding for conventions in a music magazine than to a school magazine because of the amount of research i did prior to designing my final magazine, which was a lot more in-depth than my research for the preliminary task. Because of this, i was more able to learn and follow the conventions. I think some of the main things i have improved from  comparing my magazines, is the layout. I've been much more aware of using the route of the eye and principal of thirds to create an effective and accurate magazine that is much more appealing to the audience. With more planning, i was able to choose exactly which fonts i wanted and which worked best with my magazine. Also for my preliminary task i wasn't very aware of colour schemes and also on my contents page wasn't as specific as i could be with what was going to be on each page. I have definitely learnt how to construct a much more appealing and professional looking magazine that will attract my target audience. My preliminary task helped me in ways, especially with making sure i plan exactly how i want my magazine to look in order to make my magazine appeal to more people. 



Above is my preliminary task next to my completed product. It is clear that my final product is much more professional compared to my preliminary task. Both of my magazines followed conventions through the photos, we can see this as the person representing the school magazine is studying in the photo and the people representing the music magazine have a band look about them. There is however a lack of cover lines that i used on the preliminary, which makes it seem much less interesting compared to my music magazine. My photography has improved drastically because of the use of technologies such as Photoshop whereas my photos on my preliminary were only edited slightly to make them appear brighter. I didn't use a range of fonts for my preliminary task, although this could have been one of the conventions of a school magazine. These factors show that as a whole i have improved drastically and become more able to create a professional and successful looking magazine.

2 comments:

  1. 16/20 (A)

    To improve further try to give some specific examples of how you used technology, and how this helped you to produce a successful product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Current Marks

    Research and Planning 18/20
    Production 48/60
    Evaluation 16/20

    Total: 82/100 (A)

    You now need to make any improvements to your work by the final deadline of the 7th of April. To improve your magazine further consider adding more coverlines to the front cover. Try to use more varied fonts across all your pages. Use captions for your images, and page numbers on the double page spread. Consider adding a pull-quote.

    ReplyDelete