Wednesday 23 March 2011

Evaluation - Target Audience


"Who would be the audience for your media product?"


I found through my target audience research with the survey I made that my target audience would be males and females (although mainly males) from about 16 to mid-twenties, despite the most popular answer in my survey being 16-19 year olds, I decided I wanted to make the magazine more mature and consider 20-25 year olds as well, which also gives me a larger target age range, this is because I knew from research that the average age of the audience for NME magazine was around 23 year olds. 60% of participants that took the survey said that their favourite kind of music genre was ‘Indie/alternative’, these people were who I considered to be my target audience. They also happened to be mainly males who showed an interest, which gave me the target audience of mainly men aged 16-25 who like the Indie genre of music. When i asked what people would be most interested in, the majority said interviews and tour dates.

I posted my survey onto different websites to ensure that lots of people took my survey in order for me to get the best results I could. I asked in my survey what people would most like to see in the magazine and a lot of people came back to me saying that they’d like to see interviews and articles about new and upcoming bands, so to appeal to them I took advantage of my double page spread and created an interview of a new cool indie band that were releasing a new album. When I asked about the colour schemes, 90% of people who filled in the survey chose the colour scheme of black and white with red, which is the same colour scheme we see in NME so this gave me a good idea of what the audience wanted to see in my final product. 


NME’s audience was mainly ‘ABC1s’ who have a very strong interest for music, which is also what participants chose as their main interest in my survey, which suggested that I could have the same target audience as NME have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment